Thursday, February 5, 2009

Are You Ready to Rumble?

Yesterday, the battle began in my body. The evil forces of lymphoma met head-on with the powerful forces of Nitrogen Mustard, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Bleomycin, and Neulasta. Along with a larger team of supporting drugs to control side-effects like nausea and reduced numbers of white blood cells, I am marching to victory.

Over the course of two and half hours, various drugs were infused through an IV in my arm, some in bags dripped into the IV and other delivered in syringes by nurses. Nausea was controlled by two bags of anti-nausea medication and a pill that cost $135.00 each. It all worked- it better for that much money! I didn't really feel much until the end of the session when a mild tingling and slight burning sensation moved throughout my veins and arteries. I left feeling a little spaced out, but not really in pain. I didn't feel well at all when we got home and immediately slept for a couple hours. Viola wanted me describe how I felt, but it wasn't easy to put into words. I felt odd; a little like someone had injected Icy-Hot rub into my circulatory system. It was tingling, warm and cool, in my feet, in my hands, and even in my teeth. I had a sweat in bed and experienced fevers and chills later. My body temperature was 96.5. I sat in my recliner covered in a blanket only occasionally able to focus on the TV.

I slept well, but woke at 4:30 am. I feel a little better today. There is a strange metallic taste in my mouth and body feels out of sorts. I am fatigued and a little spacey, but able to read and use the computer. So far, I have been able to eat, although it often driven more by will power than appetite. Having a Jewish mother in the house pretty much guarantees I won't be lacking for food or instructions to eat and drink.

Today, my visit to the oncology center included an injection to stimulate the body to make more white blood cells as the cancer fighting drugs wipe them out. I was told that tomorrow I will begin three to four days of aching joints and some pain in my bones. I try to stay focused on the fact that my cancer is now shrinking instead of growing.

Thanks so much to everyone who sent well wishes. They are truly comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment