Friday, March 6, 2009

Clots, and Shots, and Picc Lines...OH MY!

While not as scary as lions, tigers, and bears, the clots, shots, and PICC line have made the last few days harrowing.

A week after taking antibiotics for plebitis in my arm, there was no improvement.  In fact, the arm was getting more and more painful.  My oncologist ordered an ultrasound scan which uncovered blood clots in my right arm.  The clot was restricting blood flow resulting in swelling and inflammation.  The clotting was caused by the damage to the walls of the veins from the harsh drugs being infused into it.

Later that same day, I was sent to the hospital to have a PICC line inserted.  It is a catheter put in my arm and threaded into a large vein in my chest.  This way the chemotherapy won't blow out my other arm.  The chemicals feed throught two plastic ports sticking out of my arm and flow directly into a large vein where the toxins are more diluted.  The line in my arm doesn't hurt, but it sure is creepy.  At least I don't have to get stuck with needles as much.

Unfortunately, I do need to have daily injections of an anti-coagulants for five days.  Then I take Cumaden, for a month which will require twice per week lab tests.  For nine days in a row, I will be seeing nurses, doctors, or lab techs.  I am getting use to needle poke in the arm, but still hate having some injections given over my stomach. 

I have really been hit hard by the heavy dose of chemicals this week.  I have been doing little more than sleeping.  My entire digestive tract feels like it's in turmoil.  When I eat something, I can feel my stomach trying to reject it while the strong anti-nausea medications stop the stomach from rejecting the food.  A battle begins everytime I eat.  Consequently, I get very tired after eating only a small amount.  I feel like one of the Iron Man contestants who has collapsed at the finish line.
  
My head is so foggy, that I woke up last night wondering about a strange sound I heard. Viola said the sound was my own moaning in my sleep.  My picture of San Francisco on a foggy day is as vague as my brain right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment