Monday, March 30, 2009

I want chocolate to taste sweet again...

It's been five days since my last drug infusion and I am beginning to slowly come out of my chemo haze.  After a lab test today, V and I went to a nearby library where I checked out two books.  How's that for optimism for my attention and focus to return soon?

I have been reflecting on what is important to me at this point in my life.  
I want:  chocolate to taste sweet again;  sunshine on my body; to eat popcorn without worrying about mouth sores; a digestive tract that doesn't constantly remind me of its existence; great writers to inspire me, not tire me; to feel hunger for food; a week without lab tests; to raise my arm without fear of dislocating a catheter; to put my hands in the dirt of my garden; to play guitar without infecting my fingers; I want a kiss from my baby granddaughter; to enjoy being touched again; to hold my wife tightly; to walk, hike and cycle; to chop vegetables; to be in the company of friends...

The above thoughts are taken from a list I composed one day.  As I read over the list now, I see how simple and basic my desires have become.  There is a Zen Buddhist concept of becoming more intimate with life.  After having so much taken away by chemo, it is easier to appreciate this.  For the rest of you, however, I recommend meditation over chemotherapy for an increased appreciation of the simple things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment