Friday, April 3, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now

The last chemo infusion was nine days ago and the drugs are slowly wearing off. Like the planet in springtime, I am coming alive again-- more energy, more mental focus, more taste sensations...I am starting to feel more like me.  It is truly as if a haze were lifting and everything is becoming clear.  I'm as happy as an onion flower bursting from its sheath.

Today I tended to the grape vines, tying up new canes and making a few more pruning cuts on the old vines.  The photo shows me learning about grapes from the 95 year old master gardener and my father-in-law, Glen Smith.

I had a CT scan this week and found out it was only for measuring purposes and not to diagnose the cancer.   I was very surprised when the technician said she was going to tatoo me.  I thought she was kidding, but no, I got three permanent dots tatooed on my body.  These will serve as reference points to align the radiation beams.  And I can now proudly proclaim in any bar, " Yeah, I got three tats!" (Apologies to cousin Denton Toddhunter, renowned tatoo artist.)

Monday morning it will be lab tests and a visit with the oncology doctor.  He will most likely order a diagnostic scan to search for a hopefully non-existent tumor. 

Lunch today with two great friends from Sacramento, Anita and Larry Fein, made my life seem almost normal.  We sat outdoors in beautiful weather eating simple Italian food at our local restaurant, Cafe Citti.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/05/2009

    So glad to read that you are beginning to feel
    like Peter again. It made me feel good to think of you working with the grape vines. Know how good it was for you. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete