Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hit Me With Your Best Shot...

I have begun radiation therapy.  "Fire Away!" as Pat Benatar sang.


Radiation therapy kills cancer cells and stops them from spreading using high doses of radiation.  My chemotherapy eliminated the tumor, but there may still be some remaining cancer cells.  The radiation will destroy any remaining cancer cells and reduce the chances of the lymphoma returning.

The radiation is a very precise procedure. A body cast was made for my head and left upper body.  I lay in the cast to position my body correctly each time and to help me remain still.  My treatment area includes both the site of the tumor as well as the lymph node chain above it.  In the photo you see a red outline done with a permanent marker (my tatoos are so small they are barely visible).  Because my cancer was Stage 1, only this one area receives the radiation dose.

The treatment itself only takes about 20 seconds to the front of my body. 
The machine then rotates 180 degrees and I receive the same dosage to the back my body. Most of the treatment time is spent carefully aligning the radiation beam. In the photo you can see red light beams from the lasers used to make the precise alignment. I will receive radiation five days a week for four weeks.

Side effects of radiation vary with the area treated and vary from individual to another.  In my case, I was told to expect fatigue, hair loss, skin changes similar to a sun burn, and some irritation on the left side of my throat.

So far, radiation is not as bad as chemotherapy.  The treatment area feels a little swollen after therapy and feels like mild sunburn.  I am experiencing fatigue, but able to get out in the yard and enjoy Spring in Kenwood.  The radiation effects tend to become more prominent after a couple weeks.  Keep those positive thoughts coming my way for mild side effects and a quick recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment