Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Healing


Here's a question to test your knowledge of trivia: What area of the body tans most rapidly?  Why, of course... it's the axilla, also known as the arm pit.  Now, you're probably wondering the point of this anatomical quiz. Well, after a couple weeks of radiation treatments, I became concerned about a dark brown color in my left axilla.  (Doesn't axilla sound more pleasant and sophisticated than arm pit?)   I worried about the radiation was causing an unusual skin reaction-- perhaps skin cancer.  My radiologist explained the axilla's inhanced ability to tan.  I simply had well-tanned a well tanned area of skin from the radiation.  That later became open sores when it went from a great tan to radiation burns.  Enough said!

Today, my oncologist said I am doing great.  He expects the PET scan in two months to show the cancer gone.  I will see the radiologist on Friday for a follow-up on the reactions to the radiation treatments.  I tire easily, especially in the afternoons. The skin over the radiation treatment area is improving, but still red with some scabs.  It doesn't hurt as much and most of the open sores are gone.  What a relief!  The axilla was probably the worst forcing me to keep my arm away from my side in a basic hokey-pokey position.

I caught a cold last week; most likely from attending our usual Mother's Day Brunch at the Glen Ellen Fire Department.  Normally, I hate summer colds, although they tend to be less severe than the winter versions.  This time, the cold didn't seem that bad.  Having just gone throught chemo and radiation, a cold seemed like such a minor irritation.  Ah, relativity.

Yesterday, I sat outside our local Juice Shack and drank a pineapple smoothie.  I watched people passing by and thought about how different my experience has been the last four months.  The world kept turning, but for me it was as if I had stopped and gotten off for a while.  It is nice to re-entering a more normal experience.  I am ready to get my garden planted and take on the Sonoma trails again.

No comments:

Post a Comment