Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Victorious

The doctor says my PET Scan results are inconsistent with the activity level of malignant cells. What does that mean? It appears I have won the battle against cancer. This victory makes that hurdle race I won in high school look insignificant.

Only after getting this fantastic news, did I realize how much underlying tension was associated with the scan results. If the cancer persisted, it would have meant more chemo, more radiation, or both. After coming out the other side of that experience, I really didn't want to re-enter the dark cavern of cancer treatment. My prognosis was good, so the results weren't surprising. Still, an underlying threat that can kill you, creates a great disturbance to one's soul.

Driving home, I felt like I had escaped from a pressure chamber. Life was beautiful again, and never more so when driving through the Sonoma Valley. Drifts of fog were coming over the mountains from the ocean. They wrapped the mountains giving our favorite Hood Mountain a veiled appearance. The setting sun was beginning to create pink and red colors on the top of the fog banks. On Kenwood's Sugarloaf Mountain, a round cloud covered it's peak looking a giant ice cream cone dipped in raspberry sauce. Wonders never cease!

I am not a particularly religious person. Last fall, however, we had a religious experience in the great cathedral in Cologne, Germany. The light passing through the stained glass windows lit sculptures high on towering columns. For centuries, people experienced the same sense of the unexplainable. Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/07/2009

    When I got your message about your battle, I immediately went to your blogspot to read the story, beginning to end. I am in awe of your optimism and strength.
    Though my "hole in time", as you put it, was not as life threatening, or difficult, I can relate to the emergence into normalcy.
    I'm sorry I wasn't there to bring over a casserole, but I'm so happy that evil invader is no longer in you.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete